Dr. Mateu Esteban
(MSc 1969, PhD 1973; University of Barcelona)
- Since January 1st, 2016, Independent Carbonate Consultant, Szalai Grup S.L. Mallorca, Spain
- June 2005-December 2015: External Advisor Carbonate Geology in Madrid; exclusive consultancy for all the companies of the REPSOL group.
- January 1995-June 2005: Director and co-founder, with Dr. Qing Sun, of Carbonates International Iberia S.L, based in Mallorca (Spain).
- 1986-1994: Director of Geological Research, ERICO Petroleum Information Ltd, consulting group, London (UK) office.
- 1983-1986: Staff Research Scientist, AMOCO Production Company, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA.
- 1972-1982: Research Associate, Institut Jaume Almera, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Barcelona, Spain.
- 1974-1978: Visiting Scientist in the Universities of Liverpool (Dr. Bathurst), Miami (Dr. Ginsburg and Wisconsin (Dr. Pray)
- 1969-1974: Assistant, Lecturer, Department of Petrology, University of Barcelona, Spain
- 1996: AAPG Citation of Excellence. Vol. 80(11)
- Distinguished AAPG Lecturer in three periods:
- (North America, 1987-88; South America, 1991-92 and Europe, 2006-07)
- AAPG SPECIAL COMMENDATION AWARD "inspirational leadership in carbonate sedimentary geology through pioneering research coupled with stimulating international lecturing and consultation of importance to petroleum industry". (AAPG Bull.77, page 1835).
- 2006: General Chairman of AAPG Research Conference on carbonate reference models in the Middle East and Mediterranean. Keynote Speaker.
- 2007: Invited Keynote Speaker, AAPG Long Beach, California: Changing Paradigms in Carbonates.
- 2011: Invited Keynote Speaker and Chairman, AAPG Research Conference GTW on Fractured Carbonate Reservoirs, Bali, Indonesia.
- 2012: Invited Keynote Speaker, and Session Chairman, AAPG-ABGP GTW, Unconventional and fractured reservoirs, Rio de Janeiro.
Previous training activities
2002-2004: Instructor of NexTraining in Bandung, KL, Abu Dhabi, Cairo
1991-1992: Instructor Erico PT Geoservices in Jakarta
1991-1993: Instructor for Geoquest Training in Houston, Calgary and London
1980-1984: Lecturer of AAPG Continuing Education and Single Speaker Program
Over 50 papers (excluding abstracts and posters) on carbonate geology, sedimentology, stratigraphy and diagenesis; over 3,000 citations in scientific publications
List of most cited papers
1983, M. Esteban and C.F.Klappa, Subaerial exposure environment. in P.A.Scholle, D.G.Bebout and C.H.Moore (edts): Carbonate Depositional Environments, AAPG Mem 33: 1-54.
1988, G.Carannante, M. Esteban, J.D.Milliman and L.Simone, Carbonate lithofacies as paleolatitude indicators: problems and limitations. Sedimentary Geology 60: 333-346
1979, M. Esteban, Significance of the Upper Miocene coral reefs of the Western Mediterranean, Paleogeo. Paleoclim. Paleoecol.29:169-188.
1996, M. Esteban, An overview of Miocene reefs from Mediterranean areas: general trends and facies models, in E.K. Franseen, M. Esteban, W.C. Ward and J.M. Rouchy (edts): "Models for carbonate stratigraphy from Miocene Reef complexes of the Mediterranean regions", S.E.P.M. Concepts in Sedimentology and Paleontology, v5, p: 3-53, p: 55-72.
1981, C.J.Dabrio, M. Esteban and J.M.Martin, The coral reef of Níjar, Messinian (Uppermost Miocene), Almería province, SE Spain, Journ. Sediment. Petrol.51:532-539.
1996, M. Esteban, J.C. Braga, J. Martin and C. de Santisteban: Western Mediterranean reef complexes, in E.K. Franseen, M. Esteban, W.C. Ward and J.M. Rouchy (edts): "Models for carbonate stratigraphy from Miocene Reef complexes of the Mediterranean regions", S.E.P.M. Concepts in Sedimentology and Paleontology, v5, p: 55-72.
1974, M. Esteban, Caliche textures and Microcodium, Bol. Soc. Geol. Italiana, 92:105-125
1976, M. Esteban, Vadose pisolite and caliche, A.A.P.G. Bull. 60:2048-2057.
2003, M. Esteban and C. Taberner: Secondary porosity development during late burial in carbonate reservoirs as a result of mixing and /or cooling of brines. Journal of Geochem. Exploration, 78-79: 355-359.
1993, S.Q.Sun and M. Esteban, Paleoclimatic controls on diagenesis and reservoir quality: lessons from the Miocene carbonates. A.A.P.G. Bull. 78:519-543.
1983, M. Esteban and L.C.Pray, Pisoids and pisolite facies (Permian): Guadalupe Mountains, New Mexico and West Texas, in T.M.Peryt (ed): Coated Grains, Springer Verlag: 503-537.
1977, M. Esteban and L.C.Pray, Origin of the pisolite facies of the shelf crest, Capitan Reef Complex, in M.E.Hileman and S.J.Mazzullo (edts): Upper Guadalupian facies, Permian Reef Complex, Guadalupe Mountains, New Mexico and West Texas. Permian Basin Section S.E.P.M., 77/16:479-48.
1980, M. Esteban and J.Giner, Messinian coral reefs and erosion surfaces in Cabo de Gata (Almería, SE Spain). Acta Geol. Hispanica 15 (4): 97-104.
2000, A. Immenhauser, Creusen, A., M. Esteban and H. Vonhof: Recognition and interpretetation of polygenic discontinuity surfaces in the Middle Cretaceous Shuaiba, Nahr Umr and Natih Formations of Northern Oman, GeoArabia 5 (2): 299-322
2005, U. Sattler, A. Immenhauser and M. Esteban; Characterization, lateral variability and lateral extent of discontinuity surfaces on a Carbonate Platform (Barremian to Lower Aptial, Oman). Sedimentology 52:339-361
1996, E.K.Franseen, M. Esteban, W.C.Ward and J.M.Rouchy (editors): "Models for carbonate stratigraphy from Miocene Reef complexes of the Mediterranean regions", S.E.P.M. Concepts in Sedimentology and Paleontology, v5., p:5-9.
2006, J. Salas, C. Taberner, M. Esteban and C. Ayora: Hydrothermal dolomitization, mixing corrosion and deep burial porosity formation: numerical results from 1-D reactive transport models. Geofluids 6.
1977, M. Esteban and L.C.Pray, Origin of the pisolite facies of the shelf crest, Capitan Reef Complex, in M.E.Hileman and S.J.Mazzullo (edts): Upper Guadalupian facies, Permian Reef Complex, Guadalupe Mountains, New Mexico and West Texas. Permian Basin Section S.E.P.M., 77/16:479-48
1996, M. Esteban, A. Bossio, R. Mazzanti, R. Mazzei and G. Salvatorini: Rosignano reef complex (Messinian) Livornesi Mountains, Tuscany, Central Italy. In E.K. Franseen, M. Esteban, W.C. Ward and J.M. Rouchy (edts): "Models for carbonate stratigraphy from Miocene Reef complexes of the Mediterranean regions" , S.E.P.M. Concepts in Sedimentology and Paleontology, v5, p: 277-294.
2011, G. Warrlich, C. Taberner, Asyee, B. Stephenson, M. Esteban, M. Boya-Ferrero, A. Dombrowski, J-H Konjnenburg: The impact of diagenesis on reservoir properties: two case studies of Tertiary carbonate buildup gas fields in Southeast Asia (Malampaya and E11). SEPM Special Publication.
1979 (published in 1982), P. Anadón, F. Colombo, M. Esteban, M. Marzo, S. Robles, P. Santanach and Ll. Solé Sugranyes, Evolución tectonostratigráfica de los Catalánides, Acta Geologica Hispanica, vol. 14: 242-270.
And many more